The cold weather has arrived. In western countries, people might eat a sausage casserole and a beef and vegetable casserole to keep themselves warm. The Japanese eat a casserole/stew too. Thinking of keeping warm in this cold weather, I suddenly felt like eating Sukiyaki. So I want to share with you in my blog.
Sukiyaki is a Japanese dish made of beef, vegetables (leak, Chinese leaf , shungiku etc), grilled tofu, and shirataki noodles simmered in sukiyaki sauce (warishita). This is a Japanese beef hot pot. The below youtube video shows you how to cook it.
- Slices of wague beef
- a Chinese cabbage
- Soy sauce
- Sweet rice wine, mirin
- Chicken stock
HOW TO COOK 作り方 (TUKURI KATA)
If you cant not get the above pot you can still use a frying pan.
- Cut the beef into a reasonable size, also cut the leeks diagonally.
- Boil Shirataki – Japanese noodle made from the root of the konjac plant – then drain very well.
- Cut the roasted tofu in two, then cut it into reasonable sizes.
- Pour some water in a pan and bring to the boil, then add konbu-stock, mirin, soy sauce, sake and sugar to make “warishita” (sukiyaki sauce). In the above video, the person boil sake to eliminate alcohol. Then mix sugar and mirin, soy sauce for warishita (sukiyaki sauce). In a Japanese supermarket we can buy a already made sukiyaki sauce.
- Heat up the sukiyaki pot, then put some beef tallow to melt and add some leeks. Cook the beef slightly then add the warishita.
HOW TO EAT 食べ方 (TABE KATA)
Pick up some beef and dip it into the beaten egg and eat.
All you need is beer to enjoy the sukiyaki.
Cheers! Kanpai （乾杯）