One of the childhood memories I have is that I used to buy a grilled sweet potato. When the movable shop came, a man used to say 「Yaki imo, yaki imo, ishiyaki imo」thought a speaker so that we all know he was there. Eating a very hot grilled sweet potato was enjoyable thing to do in winters. As I get older I do not much keen on eating it, I do not know.
Today I introduce [Dried Sweet Potatoes]. When the winter approaches a supermarket starts selling those in a package which is similar to the below. My dad used to love them. Whenever we went to a supermarket he always put them in a basket.
HOSHI IMO 干し芋
Hoshi means to dry and imo means a potato.
HOW TO MAKE HOSHI IMO
作り方 (TUKURI KATA).
- When steam starts goes up, put sweet potatoes inside a steamer, put lid and steams about 40 mins with low heat.
- When pierce a folk・chopstick if it goes through, stop steaming.
- While the sweet potatoes are hot, peel its skin. When they are cool down, slice them 7~8 mm.
- Place a cooking sheet on a tray and put sliced sweet potatoes on it. Make sure they are not top of each other.
- Cook them in an oven for about 1 hour.
It is so easy process. Delicious!!! (オイシイー). Why don’t you put them in a clear bag like above and wrap it then give someone as a Christmas gift!
Good luck on making Hoshi imo!!! Look forward to hearing from you how get on with…